For the past 3 years I've had the unique privilege to try out homeschool goodies and review them here on my blog...and all because of the good folks at the Old Schoolhouse who have made the Homeschool Crew possible.
They are now accepting applications for the next school year (starts June), so if you are interested, go check it out: 2011-2012 TOS Homeschool Crew Application
I'll warn you though, read the application carefully. While it's cool to get a bunch of stuff in the mail (and online), and being a member of the Crew has truly been a blessing for our family, it really is a real job that requires real work. You receive your pay in blessings. A few examples:
- You need to check your email and forum posts daily for upcoming news and deadlines, responding to notices promptly. I personally find myself checking my email several times a day, a habit I am trying to break.
- You need to work review products into your regular schedule. Sometimes this will involve situations where you might be using, say, 2-3 different math programs at the same time ---I have often had to just temporarily drop whatever my "usually scheduled homeschooling program" was to fit in things without exhausting everybody. So flexibility is key.
- You need to write informative reviews based on your personal experience and meet strict deadlines. (I spend a couple of hours just writing each review, this doesn't include all the "rough drafts" I have spinning around in my head.)
- You could have several reviews one month and no reviews the next month (just depends on how the vendors are scheduled and what ages your kiddos are). There's that flexibility, again.
- In addition to having an active blog, all Crew members will have to have at least 25 public GFC followers (not sure why only GFC).
- You'll need to blog at least 4x per month.
- You need to have an FB account (you don't have to be a crazy FBer, though, this is primarily as a backup communication device).